The Immigration Advocates Network (IAN) and We Belong Together, in partnership with the National Domestic Workers Alliance and Pro Bono Net, are pleased to announce the launch of Step Forward, a new mobile-responsive website for immigrant women and their families that provides tools, trusted resources, and the latest information needed to understand their immigration options and rights.
To explore the English site, visit http://www.womenstepforward.org. For the Spanish version, visit http://www.mujereshaciadelante.org/.
Today, there are approximately 5.2 million undocumented women living in and contributing to the United States, many of whom may qualify for immigration relief now or in the near future. The Migration Policy Institute predicts that women may be more likely to be eligible for DAPA, and many women who are crime victims or survivors of abuse and gender based violence may already qualify for immigration benefits. Nevertheless, many immigrant women continue to face significant barriers to accessing vital information and legal services related their immigration options.
Step Forward provides immigrant women with the first step towards understanding their immigration options and accessing legal assistance, including:
– Plain language legal resources to help undocumented women assess whether they might qualify for various forms of immigration relief;
– Targeted referrals to trusted nonprofit legal service providers, so individuals can access help and avoid fraud or misinformation;
– News and updates on Deferred Action for Parents of Americans and Lawful Permanent Residents (DAPA) and the expansion of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA);
– Information on what to do in case of immigration raids or other encounters with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE);
– Know your rights information for immigrant workers; and
– Resources for crime victims and survivors of abuse.
Please take a moment to share this resource with your networks and the communities that you serve. An outreach toolkit in English and Spanish is available at https://goo.gl/iW6RFT.