(A bill to legalize the status of undocumented immigrants has not passed.)
- Do not go to “notarios publicos” for immigration help.
- Do not apply for a “legalization” benefit before the law passes.
- Do not pay anyone to complete “legalization” benefit applications before a law passes.
- Do not pay someone in advance to hold an appointment to complete a “legalization” benefit application.
- Do not register to vote.
- Do not vote in elections where non-citizens are ineligible to participate.
- Do not make false claims to U.S. citizenship.
- Do go to an attorney or BIA accredited representative if you have immigration questions.
- Do obtain a government-issued photo identification document from your country of nationality.
- Do organize personal records of residence, employment and tax filings in chronological order.
- Do maintain good moral character and avoid activity which may cause you to be convicted of a crime.
- Do learn to speak, read and write in English to the best of your ability.
- Do learn U.S. history and government similar to questions asked on the naturalization test.
- Do save money to pay for future USCIS application fees and legal assistance fees.
Catholic Legal Immigration Network, Inc. www.cliniclegal.org
415 Michigan Ave NE, Suite 200 * W ashington DC 20017 * 202-635-2556